There's no easy way to put it, nor is there an easy way to deal with it. He was only 19 weeks old, but he dealt with more health issues in the 12 weeks that we had him than I have seen most 12 year old dogs go through in a lifetime.
I haven't blogged at all in the last months because I have been extremely busy taking care of him. We aren't sure what all was wrong with him, but it was apparent that he was getting worse as he got bigger. After approximately two weeks of chronic diarrhea, he became irritable. He wouldn't let anyone touch his hip area, especially the kids, without growling and trying to bite. He was only 40 pounds. He had about 60 pounds left to gain. If he had continued to grow and put wait on his hips, I cannot imagine how much pain he would have endured and how miserable life would've become for him.
And yet he was loving. Loyal. Obedient. Gentle. Funny. All the things that dogs are and then some. He was extraordinary, acting so grown up at only four months old.
The decision to have to euthanize him did not come easily. Saying goodbye was gut-wrenching. Explaining to the kids that there was nothing else we could do and that we were very sorry their first dog could only be with us for a very short time was agonizing.
Sure, kids, sure, we'll get another dog. But he won't be like Nigel. Nothing will ever be Nigel. No one can live up to that, and it is only Dobie owners that can truly understand that.
So I sit here trying to figure out a way to blog about this. I sit here trying to hold it together once again. The endless flow of tears and the breaking of my heart does not seem to have an end. Ty is off work today and tomorrow, unable to function. It is he that held Nigel's sweet face while he fell into his deep eternal sleep.
My dearest Nigel,
I am so sorry your life was so short lived here on earth, but we have been blessed to have owned you. We have been blessed to love you immensely and to have that love returned in volumes unmeasurable.
Go and run, Nigel. Run and play with your new hips and healed insides. Run in the land of superb Kong toys that are filled with many more marvelous things than just peanut butter and cheese, for God is good. He does no thing in a small way and He will take care of you and love you until we meet again.
Mommy and Daddy
**June 6, 2009-October 19, 2009**
9 comments:
Oh Lori! I am so very sorry to hear about Nigel! I know how much you loved him. I have no words to express how much my heart hurts for you and your family's loss. Nigel is happy now and not hurting anymore. Big super hugs to you and your family. (I miss seeing you on Oh, Scrap!)
Lori and Family,
I am so, so very sorry to hear about Nigel. ((hugs)) and more ((Hugs)).
Lori - I am thinking about you, Ty and the kids! I am so sorry.
I am wiping tears away right now, Lori! I haven't talked to you in a month and this is what I find out... so sorry to hear about Nigel! I know that he is in a better place and that God is taking care of him now! ♥XOXOXO♥
Lori, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I'm thinking about you guys!
I am SO SORRY!!! I was just wondering where you have been when Sarah filled me in. Hugs to you and your family.
Lori, as a dog owner (and an owner of a sick dog at that) I understand what you are going through. Please let me know if I can do anything. You know I love you to bits, my friend.
I am so very sorry for your loss...My Copper will love making a new wonderful friend. I loved your letter to him and I know in my Heart that God takes care of our furever friends untill we see them again...Carol
"Sure, kids, sure, we'll get another dog. But he won't be like Nigel. Nothing will ever be Nigel. No one can live up to that, and it is only Dobie owners that can truly understand that."
I agree.
The pic of them sleeping on the floor, the pic of him with ty, those are the reasons I love doby's.
E.
Post a Comment