Not many people understand the connection you can have with a dog. People can be animal lovers without really "getting" animals, without really connecting with them, without really seeing their souls and seeing them for the individuals that God created them to be. Most people love to 'love' animals from a distance without the responsibilities of taking care of them, thus in my opinion, missing out on one of the most amazing things this life has to offer.
I was blessed to be raised by two parents who are animals lovers, who welcomed animal after animal, including a pot-bellied pig, into our home. I watched my dad, as he hated cats, look for my outside cat in the blistering cold and carry him to the basement to stay warm, only to be woke up at 2 a.m. so the cat could go out to pee. I watched him cry when he ran over one in the garage. I watched my mom sit with her dog after he was run over by a truck and everyone had given up on him, including the vets. I watched her go to see him on a daily basis and take him eggs because he would only eat if she was there to feed him. I watched her determination in making him better, and that is what he did. He got better and lived for many more years, even surviving a second hit from the very same truck that ran him over the first time.
I watched both of my parents be patient with me as I house-trained a pig and we watched him grow and he became part of the family. I watched my mom insert medicine into Jamie's ears month after month because they were deformed and she could no longer hear. I was blessed to have my dearest Dusti, a blond cocker spaniel like Tanner, lay on my bed and keep my feet warm for 16 years. I have always been blessed to have had dogs for longer than 10 years. I have watched no dollar sign be too large to take care of our beloved pets because they are one of us when they enter our family. If they suffered, we suffered.
And so it continues with Chip and I and our pets. Our dogs all know each other. We visit with our animals in tow. Mom's dogs, Chase and Bo, are delighted when we show up with our furry friends, just as excited as our dogs are to visit them. Nigel loved Chase and Bo and Nigel loved Tanner. He knew when he was at Tanner's house and loved to run right in.
I know most of you don't know my brother, and if I had pictures of his dog I would probably blog about it but I don't think it's my place to anyhow. This is Chip's day of sadness. Visit his blog today and think of him please...
http://jfbarnes.blogspot.com/2009/11/one-black-friday.html
Thank you, and God Bless.
Friday, November 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment