Monday, April 27, 2009

Here We Go Again

It seems that our dear Fatty Maddie has to undergo surgery again today. After peeing blood several times yesterday in front of the litter box and containing it to the linoleum floor for easy clean up, she began peeing in front of me every time I would touch her in what I believe was a serious attempt to make sure I could see something was wrong with her.

After taking her to the vet's office today and having an X-ray taken to see why her bladder was hard and she was dripping pee everywhere that contained blood, we discovered she had three very large bladder stones that nearly took up the entire size of her bladder. So here we are again, waiting for a phone call from the vet's office to let us know she made it through surgery and is okay.

Luckily, if all goes well she will get to come home tomorrow rather than spending a few nights away from home like last time. I honestly never thought I would pay this much to take care of a cat when I am usually not a cat person but Maddie and Allie just melt me every time I look at them and I just couldn't have her put down. After all she is one of our kids. Just a rather hairy, messy, overweight, lazy and unhealthy kid. And if one of my human kids were unhealthy I wouldn't have them put to sleep.

Maddie seems to be an exception to the general stereotype of cats that keep themselves groomed. She doesn't groom herself at all and is matted terribly even if we cut them away every day and brush her. This allows for all kinds of infections to fester and grow and back up into her urethra with all that hair around her butt.

The vet recommended that she get a "lion cut", something Ty has been wanting to do for quite some time now and I wouldn't let him. I guess I should have listened to him and we could have avoided this mess, she wouldn't be in serious pain, and I wouldn't be depleting my furniture fund for a house when we get one. Sigh.

I've always wanted one of those little ugly hairless Chinese Crested dogs that are bald and only have hair on their heads, feet and tails. I guess I'm going to finally have one, just in the form of a big fat cat. You can bet your butt I'm going to be taking pictures of her and posting them. I have a feeling she's going to end up looking like something only a mother could love.

2 comments:

scrappinnelly said...

I have a feeling she's not going to like that hair cut, but she'll appreciate not having to have surgery again. Poor thing! Hope everything goes well!

Scrappinmonkey said...

I can't wait to see that haircut!