Saturday, May 16, 2009

Freecycle Is My Friend

Freecycle brought us Nibbles, the newest member of the Hepfer family. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Freecycle, it is a website set up for people to give things away for free. This isn't a junk site, most of the things I've gotten by freecycling have been awesome. It makes life easy when you want to get rid of things and don't feel like hauling them away. You post them, someone responds who is interested in your area and they come and pick up whatever you are getting rid of.

We've recently decided to let the boys have a pet of their own when we moved into the house. Sage's pet of choice is a parakeet, very fitting for Sage and his personality if you ask me. I have been able to find him a really nice bird cage for cheap at a yard sale but we told them they had to wait until we moved to get any animals.

And then I checked out my local freecycling site a few days ago and saw a post offering a guinea pig with a cage, food and water. Drey's pet of choice just happened to be a guinea pig. So.... I contacted the lady in Carroll Valley, PA, we drove 35 minutes to pick up the little cutie pie and her belongings and she is now safely at home with us and being loved on every second.

We didn't tell the kids what we were going to do and instead just came home with everything. Drey's reaction was priceless. Nibbles is the most lovable, cuddly guinea pig on the face of the earth. She loves to be held and will sit on your lap forever. The cats could care less that she even exists, they are more interested in the cage instead of the guinea pig that is freely crawling around on the floor.

Is this the cutest picture you have ever seen or what? It's like she knows Drey is her owner, she snuggles right up to him the second he touches her. She is such an awesome blessing being apart of our family.

6 comments:

Angie said...

Nibbles is way too cute! Congrats!

petergabrielfan said...

Super cute! How fun to have a new member of the fam! :)

Anonymous said...

cute cute cute!!! I use to have a guinea pig once.

Anne said...

Awww so cute!

Berb said...

I can remember when Ty had a guinea pig, he loved it. Tanzan had a parakeet. That is the cutest picture. I am so glad they are getting their own pets. It is such an important part of growing up.

Audrey (the Hepburn House) said...

oh my gosh, so cute!!