Friday, May 22, 2009

Lop-Eared Leroy

Sigh...

It doesn't help that we are buying a big house that will have room for animals with me being the animal lover that I am. It doesn't help that my husband is a sappy animal lover, almost worse than I am, and it doesn't help when I find something so perfect and so right for my kids.

Mom stopped by after work today and said, "Let's go to a couple of yard sales." So I threw on my bra -- darn her anyhow. Nothing ruins my day more than having to hoist these puppies into my over the shoulder boulder holders. I would walk around free as a jaybird if it wouldn't scare the public and cause my kids to endure a lifetime of therapy. But alas, I put a bra on and a hat and out the door we went.

We didn't really find much other than a sign that read "Welcome to the Zoo" and now I'm wishing I had bought it. Of course the sign was at the first yard sale and the bunny was at the last one. When we arrived at the last yard sale, before my van was even stopped, I said, "Oh my gosh. Mom, whatever you do, do NOT let me leave with that bunny."

I left with the bunny. I mean seriously. How could I not? Look at him.

What really jerked my chain the wrong way was when the guy put a $50/obo sign on the cage and I began asking questions.

Me: So, why are you getting rid of the bunny?

Dumb guy: Well, we just don't want to take care of him anymore.

Me: Is it a boy or a girl?

Dumb guy: It's a boy.

Me: How often do you have to clean his cage?

Dumb guy: Well... *shrugs*....every couple days, I guess. I don't know. Maybe it should be done every day?

In my head: Ya think?! Look at the poop all over the bottom of his cage!

Me: Oh, I see, kind of like a guinea pig, huh? Does he have a name?

Dumb guy: Uh... no.

In my head: What?! Are you kidding me?! Who gets a pet and doesn't name them and love them???? GRRRRR....

Me: He doesn't have a name?

Dumb guy: Well... the baby calls him Bun-Bun. I... uh... well... I just call him Rabbit.

Me: Um, okay. That sounds like something Rylee would call him.

In my head: And she's THREE you idiot!

Me: Well, I'm glad I don't have $50 because I know I would buy him and I probably shouldn't.

Dumb guy: Well, we'll be here all day tomorrow.

In my head: Go to the van, Lori. Go to the van... NOW. Tell dumb guy to have a nice day and WALK AWAY.

Me: Will you take $20 for everything?

Dumb guy: *asks lady behind me* Will you take $20? No? $25? How about $25?

Me: Done. Here ya go. Thanks!

And seriously, when you look at Rylee's expression, could you have said no? Mom checked to make sure he had balls on the way home so we could give him a cool name that went with a lop-eared bunny and she came up with Leroy. Perfectamundo! Leroy it is. And he came with a huge cage, water bottle, a giant hay bale looking thing of shavings, etc.
Funny part is, the other three haven't gotten home yet from school and have no clue what they are in for. Leroy isn't quite a year old and he's already 2/3 the size of our ginormous cats so the cats are a bit skittish of him. It's quite funny actually.
So the girls now have a pet of their own for in their room when we get to our new home. Welcome to the Hepfer household, Leroy, you will be smothered to death with attention and love.


5 comments:

Angie said...

awww..Leroy is too cute! Love him!!

petergabrielfan said...

Love his name! He is adorable. :) Congrats on the new member of the family.

Anonymous said...

Lori, you are totally out of control. :) Leroy is adorable! :)

Anne1701 said...

He is just so cute! And of course Rylee is adorable!!!
I love his name!

Anonymous said...

omg! love raylee's cute face! her hair is so long.

sigh. do bad I don't scrap.

and a ginnea?

so a husband. four kids. cats? bunny and a ginnea.

Hun, you're nuts. I was smart enough to stop after the husband, lilly, kitty and fish. oh wait. not much better. sigh.