Sunday, August 2, 2009

There's No Title, Really...

I'm going to take a small break from my shameless posts about our new puppy to address something, and I doubt half of you will appreciate it, especially if you are white. Something was said to me last night regarding "the Mexicans" and when I didn't laugh about it, the other person did and said, "Oh well, that's just the way things are."

No, that's not the way things are. When something comes out of a child's mouth that involves specifically pointing out another race, it's racist. Children don't know how to be racist in anyway until they are taught, and last time I checked white people don't teach their children to point out "white people", but they sure do point out "the blacks" or "the Mexicans" or "insert any type of person that doesn't look like them here" and think it is okay.

When you are speaking about different cultures and using things as a teaching tool, it may be necessary to apply where people are from. When you are the victim of a crime, it is necessary when giving the police a description to be specific in someone's looks from the color of their skin to their height, weight and gender. I'm pretty sure most of you understand that.

However, what I don't understand is how we think it is our natural born right to separate someone else from us because of the color of their skin. What does it matter, really, when you think about it? People are people, plain and simple (thanks, Anne). We all stem from the same two people who were created in the beginning by a God who NEVER mentions color in His Word. Ever. He mentions where people come from so we can understand the history of the world, He uses it as a teaching tool, but has not once ever mentioned it was okay to separate ourselves from each other due to the colors of our skin.

I'm sure "the Mexican" comment was harmless coming from the child's mouth because he/she would not have known there was anything wrong with it, especially if he/she heard it from an adult's mouth. We teach our children how to treat people by our actions and our words. Everything they say and do toward another race is reflected on us as parents. If they say or do something wrong (and I'll be the first to admit my children have picked up things and have said the wrong things) then it is our job to stop it and explain why it is wrong.

I'm astounded to hear white people say this is their country and nobody else should be here. Um, NO, it is not. Learn the history of this country, people. Unless you are a pure-blooded Indian, you DO NOT belong here anymore than anyone else. Just because you were born here doesn't give you a right to say this is YOUR country. In case you have forgotten, your ancestors who were NOT born here, came over on their boats to live here for the same reason anyone else comes to this country today. You have your ancestors to thank for your freedom and your country.

I lost a baby almost 16 years ago and the father of that baby was black. You may have or may not have known that. It's not because I'm ashamed of the fact that I've had black boyfriends in the past that I don't talk about it. It is because I have never seen a point in mentioning that I dated black guys anymore than I should mention that I dated white guys. To me, I just dated guys.

My point in mentioning it now is this, if that child was here with me today, most white people would do one of two things. 1) They would avoid me altogether because God forbid my child was half black or 2) They would make sure not to say anything to offend me or my child and wait until I left. Tell me this, if I wouldn't want to hear it because I have a child mixed with another race, what on earth makes you think I want to hear it when that child is not here?! Just because I am white does not automatically make me a candidate to joke around with when comes to people of other skin colors. Period.

As a matter of fact, it makes me wish I wasn't white. It makes me wish my husband wasn't white and it makes me wish my own kids were not white. Does that make me prejudice against my own race? It sure does.

And I will say this. If I am out in public and hear someone saying something I do not want to hear, I will take my kids and leave the area. If I am at your house and a conversation takes place that is offensive to me and I do not want my kids around it, I will take my kids and leave your house. However, if you are in my house or on my property and you say something offensive toward other people, then you will be asked to leave. People are people, plain and simple. That is the way I live my life and choose to raise my kids. If you choose to live differently, that is your business, but do not mix it with my company.

And that is all I have to say.

4 comments:

petergabrielfan said...

Lori, you know I agree with you wholeheartedly. ;)

scrappinmomto2girls said...

I have never heard it said better!!

Mike has always said that we just might be surprised when we get to heaven and Jesus is wearing a dashiki(sp>) saying what up man. ya know...people automatically think that he is white but I don't think he is labeled in th Bible.

Anyways I totally agree with you!!

Anne1701 said...

I so agree with you!
As for Jesus, my mother always said he couldn't be white. He came from the Middle East!

Anonymous said...

i spent last night having a Mexican (number 22) call me a name i won't repeat. course, that's meant i was doing something good since i was in his way :)

Next time, i'm turning them in. Not cause it bothers be, but gee, getting our but kicks is getting old. hehehe.
E