One thing I would highly recommend experiencing if you ever go there is the taverns. There are a few throughout Colonial Williamsburg, some request reservations, some do not. This is one of those taverns.
The gentleman that gave us a tour of the Capitol building and explained the laws and practices from those days. Again, it'll make you extremely thankful that you live in this era even if our system does suck.
Just part of the scenery. I use this picture as the desktop on my computer.
It is not uncommon to see horses everywhere, going up and down the street, with their riders in tow. And just like back then, it's very important to watch where you step because horses don't necessarily look for the nearest potty when they feel like dropping a load. Wait a minute, did I just say potty?
A lady sitting on a porch doing needlework.
Another tavern.
This gentleman was sitting on a porch minding his own business but I thought it would be cute to have my picture taken with him. It turns out he was happy to oblige.
Mom took the opportunity to pet some horses that were tied before their owner hopped on and started out again.
This is the front of the Governor's Mansion. I have entirely too many pictures and stories for the inside of this place so if you really must see and hear all the details, please stop by when I finish the scrapbook from our trip and I'd be more than happy to entertain you.
The back of the mansion.
The inside of the church that sits in Colonial Williamsburg that is still operating today. It's rather fascinating to see the inside and see where George Washington, John Monroe and several other presidents attended church, their seats and what they did in their meetings.
This is the outside of Shield's Tavern where Mom and I ate. Like I said, it is definitely a must to experience one of these when in the area. The place is set up like an old-time tavern with staff dressed accordingly and menus are written in the terms they used back then. You are taken to your chamber to order and enjoy your meal.
While there, you are serenaded by someone as he walks through and plays his instrument of choice, paying you no mind, just enjoying his music. As it gets dark, they go through and light the candles so you can see to eat.
Mom posing with the lady who waited on us.

4 comments:
Hey girl, you got some awesome pic!!
Hey girl, you got some awesome pic!!
We didn't do the tavern thing either time we were there.
Must try that.
sounds fun!
so... why did their system suck worse than ours?
Post a Comment