Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Have A Holly, Jolly Christmas

Unless you take Zoe anywhere. Seriously, the Queen of Drama has struck again.

Ty had off last evening and we decided to take the kids for a bite to eat before riding around all evening looking at Christmas lights. Our decision landed us on top of Sunnyway. For those of you who don't live here, this is our local grocery store. On top of the grocery store in the back is a little restaurant. I love this place. Good food, small prices and a million childhood memories of going there with my grandmother when I was little.

The coolest part is sitting by the edge at the small tables and watching people grocery shop. If you are lucky, you get to see someone you know and yell their name, making them wonder where the heck it's coming from.

Last night we didn't get to yell at anyone in particular; however, Zoe was able to scream blood curdling screams at everyone in the entire grocery store. Our rule was simple: You can sit at a small table by the edge as long as you don't stand on your seat or hang over the edge. What we forgot to add was, please don't get your head lodged in between the metal bars and scream as if you are falling to your death if you do.

We ordered our food and were sitting at little tables, Zoe and Rylee at one, Sage and Drey at another, and Ty and I snuck off to the side booth and let the kids enjoy the view. Ty and I's conversation was abruptly interrupted with the highest pitched, most terrified scream I have ever heard come out of a little girl. My fear instantly was I was going to turn around and see Zoe hanging off the railing and falling to her death.

What I saw was the opposite. Actually she was pretty safe because she was stuck. The picture below is a view from where Zoe was standing, looking out over the grocery store. The very quiet grocery store I might add. She put her head through the top and slid herself down, lodging her head right between the two metal bars. The bars were stuck directly to her ears. She couldn't move forward or backward. I couldn't move her head either until I realized that we would have to bring her up the way she went down.

In the meantime, everything stood still in Greencastle. Every single person in the grocery store at that moment stopped to see whose child was being brutally murdered or whose child was falling to their death.

Zoe could not even begin to exhibit any self control. She was out of her mind crazy and flipping out. And somehow, in the midst of soothing my daughter while she clung to me with every part of her being and I'm laughing hysterically into the top of her head, I managed to ask her to put her head back in there so I could get a picture for her scrapbook. I can't imagine why she wouldn't. That question sent off another tizzy of panic attacks so I gave up and settled for the picture without her, along with this one of her being totally drained and disgusted with me, probably for laughing and wanting another picture.
Rylee completely enjoyed the view but after watching her sister have what she thought was a near death experience, she settled in quietly beside Ty to eat.
The boys are chillin' out at the table Zoe and Rylee were at. Sage's first reaction to Zoe's screaming (without even looking to see what was wrong) was, "Gee whiz, can't we go one single day without someone crying around here?!"

And this is an irresistible picture of my hubba-hubba hot piece of meat husband doing what he does best... waiting patiently for a plate of food.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is just not right! LOL

Anonymous said...

Oh Lori. Trust me, if I had been there I would have snapped her picture before you rescued her. That's the kind of friend I am. LOL.

Mindy said...

Sounds like something I would do, Erin! Lori, I'm glad that she wasn't too traumatized!! :)

petergabrielfan said...

I LOVE it!! Life with kids is never, even dull.

magpie said...

OH. MY. GOD. i am dying over here. your poor baby! hahahahhaaha

Tracy said...

I agree with Erin... picture first, consouling second! hahahaa!!! poor baby!