Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Magic Of Christmas

I'm a complete scrooge. I'll be happy when Christmas is over. I was glad when Thanksgiving was gone for another year. I'm not sure why I feel that way. Maybe it's genetic or maybe I get sick of all the running from year to year with the kids or maybe it's because we were supposed to be moved or maybe, just maybe, it's Ty's fault.

Yep. I like the last one. It's much easier to deal with when I can blame everything on Ty. Amazingly enough, he's always willing to take the blame, accept it as his own and ask what he can do to fix it. Some days that makes me wanna love him more, other days it makes me wanna beat him.

I've put up two trees and the stockings. I've repented a hundred times for every cuss word that I grumbled while trying to put together the &*$%*! artificial tree. See there? I did it again. I hate artificial trees. The fiber optic one that I just pulled out of the box and had to fluff up was bad enough. One should be able to go out, pick out a tree, cut it down, screw it into the stand, stand it up and WAH-LAH! You have your tree. No fluffing needed. No color-coded ends that give colorblind people headaches figuring out which color is which. No spikes in your blood pressure. Nothing. And it smells nice. Who cares if I have to vaccum the needles? I cuss a lot less if I'm being stabbed in the foot occasionally by a dead pine needle than I am while trying to get the stupid, retarded looking fake one together to look somewhat real.

So why didn't I just shut up and go get a real tree? I'm sure that's what is going through your mind. Well, two reasons actually. Allie and Maddie. If you've been reading my blog, you know how stinking fat my cats are. They both average about 16-18 pounds each. This is their first Christmas here so I was unsure what their reactions would be to Christmas decorations considering most of the time they act like monkeys on crack rather than a couple of fat, lazy cats. I was right for thinking so. Since yesterday Allie has climbed up the inside of the tree TWICE.

Her self denial about being fat has her convinced that she can somehow climb up the inside of the tree, crawl out onto the branches with all the pretty lights and sleep on it like it's her bed. It doesn't exactly work that way. How it does work is it bends all the wiring in the tree and pulls out those &^%*$ color-coded ends that give me such a headache to begin with and she is left laying on a nice fluffy bed of branches on the floor.

Decorating for Christmas has not really given me much holiday spirit, but it has certainly filled the kids with joy. They will sit in awe and just stare at a Christmas tree with lights on it, picturing what it's going to look like underneath Christmas morning and sing Christmas songs as they walk around. And that does make me smile, but in the midst of all my bah-humbugness and Ty getting ready for work today, I heard Rylee come out of her bedroom and say to Ty...

"Daddy, Daddy, come look! Mommy pulled Christmas out of a box!"

And somehow the headaches and my %&*^$ artificial tree don't seem so bad after all.

4 comments:

scrappinnelly said...

I'm a Scrooge too! I always want it over as fast as possible! That is why I don't really feel that bad that I am not doing a tree this year. Next year when El is old enough, we will to, have to swear away as we put up a tree and watch our cat climb it...

Tracy said...

Me! Pick Me! I'm a scrooge too!!!

Bahhhhummmbuggg!!!

Anonymous said...

sorry for all the scroogeness! lol

Kids have a nice way of making almost ANYTHING seem okay. Hang in there! Less than a month and it will all be over with. ;)

Remember. No matter how much fun all the shiny gifts are... Jesus is the reason for the season. And baby jesus didn't get a nice Christmas tree, probably why he never cussed. lol
He was in a manger. And I have never really understood exactly what franeksince and Mer are.... But I'm thinking that they aren't something kids today would like. So maybe shiny things are the better way to go!

LOL

Anonymous said...

You big scrooge!! :) You are making Christmas memories for those adorable kiddos when you "pull Christmas out of the box" so just do it and like it :) LOL